Consumers Targeted by Vishing Scam Should Call Agency’s Hotline ALEXANDRIA, Va. (Jan. 21, 2014) – The National Credit Union Administration today warned consumers to beware of a new telephone fraud, known as a “vishing” scheme, that is using the agency’s name in an attempt to obtain personal financial information.
Several credit union members have been contacted by an automated phone call claiming to be from NCUA and notifying consumers their debit cards have been compromised. The call then asks the receiver to follow prompts, which request personal information, including sensitive financial data and personal identification information. Anyone contacted by this so-called “vishing” scheme should immediately contact NCUA’s Consumer Assistance Center Hotline at 800-755-1030 or by email at email@example.com to report the scam. Operators answer calls Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Eastern. NCUA neither seeks personal information from consumers over the telephone nor handles day-to-day maintenance of member...
Read our Winter 2013 Newsletter today!... ...
Don't leave home without it! Download the AskAuto app on your smartphone the next time you're going to look around the dealer lot and easily use the app to:
- Scan a car's VIN to get information on your dream vehicle, including the average retail cost and EPA mileage estimates.
- Compare, rank and take notes about vehicles as you make your buying decision.
- Learn about loan options through custom messages from Priority First -- while you're on the dealer's lot!
- Apply for a loan from anywhere using your Smartphone
- You can scan your driver's license to prefill many fields in the loan app
- The AskAuto app prefills the loan application with saved vehicle data